Saturday, August 25, 2007

Truth is often stranger than fiction

A 27-year-old lady presented with persistent cough, sputum and fever for the preceding six months. Inspite of trials with antibiotics and anti-tuberculosis treatment for the preceeding four months, her symptoms did not improve. A subsequent chest radiograph showed non-homogeneous collapse-consolidation of right upper lobe. Videobronchoscopy revealed an inverted bag like structure in right upper lobe bronchus and rigid bronchoscopic removal with biopsy forceps confirmed the presence of a condom. Detailed retrospective history also confirmed accidental inhalation of the condom during fellatio.
I ain't makin' it up...

I don't think I'll be able to keep a straight face the next time someone says "suction"...

12 comments:

Ambulance Driver said...

ROFLMAO...

Barbara said...

She didn't realize this when it happened??? What did she think she was....oh never mind. Forget I asked.

Jaime said...

That's too funny.

MedicMatthew said...

What.
The.
Fuck.?
Over.

The Tundra PA said...

Really hard to imagine that she didn't *get* that something was more than a little wrong at the time! That condom had a way to travel to get from her glottis to her right mainstem bronchus--during which she couldn't have been breathing all that well. Seems like something one would notice. People are endlessly amazing.

Anonymous said...

so... gag reflex?
Aaah, I should just stop there... I don't wanna go down that road.

anonymousRN said...

Huh... wow... I think that everyone else took the words out of my mouth.

Anonymous said...

wow -- talk about, pardon the expression, "deep throatin it"

Anonymous said...

Geez! I've aspirated a very small piece of string licorice, and that sent me to the ER in a major asthma attack from the coughing. How could she have lasted 6 MONTHS with that condom in her lung? I do hope she continues to use them, and especially with vaginal intercourse. There are just some ppl out there who shouldn't be contributing anything to the gene pool.

ED RN said...

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Love it.

Murphy said...

What a trooper.

NYC EMS said...

That is to funny.